m2oDevotionals

Thursday 25 June 2015

[Thursday's Devotional] - Empowered by a Miracle

When he had finished speaking, [Jesus] said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. Luke 5:4-6[NIV]

 

How would you feel if you were struggling along in your twenty year-or-so long career, then an inexperienced newcomer turns up and shows you how it is done?  I would not find it very encouraging!  It could have been deflating for Simon Peter when he saw Jesus perform his miracle, if he hadn't already known he was someone special.  He shows his respect for Jesus by obeying his request to do something which probably defied his fishing experience.  Yet “putting out into deeper water and letting down his nets for a catch” enables him to see a miracle, and I am sure his fishing experience lets him appreciate it for what it is.

 

When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” Luke 5:8.

 

I am sure Jesus had many purposes in performing miracles.  They all point to his divinity, but there also seems to be another point in encouraging and directing the witnesses and bringing in the Kingdom of God.  The effect on Simon Peter is profound – it convicts him of his sin, and re-directs his life.

 

Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.”  So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him. Luke 5:10-11.

 

This leaves me wondering how I would react to a miraculous situation.  Would I be prepared to humble myself first as Simon did, and do what Jesus was asking?  Would I be able to appreciate the miracle for what it was?  Would I just want the private faith booster or even only see it as entertainment?  Would I be able to see God's Kingdom purpose in what was going on?  Would it change my life?

 

Maybe we will see a miracle one day, but if not, we haven't missed out on the main point.  We can have the empowerment of recognising Jesus for who he is, and knowing his Kingdom purposes in our lives without seeing a miracle.  But, should he want to surprise us or re-direct our lives in this way, I hope I am ready and aware to appreciate a miracle for what it is.

 

Jon Seaton

No comments:

Post a Comment