m2oDevotionals

Tuesday 7 October 2014

[Tuesday's Devotional] - God's plan and way out

Soon after Year 6 and because of civil war in my country, my grandparents felt it was safer for me to be transferred from the farm and rural school, back into town to live with my parents and siblings.

 

You can imagine how happy I was!  God had begun to answer my prayer and dream for life out of poverty, even though I didnt know Him at the time - "I took you from tending sheep in the pasture and selected you to be leader of my people Israel” 1 Chronicles 17: 7 [NLT]

 

Now, you may be wondering why I was living with my grandparents when I had my own parents.

 

Well, from a human point of view there were plenty of reasons: In our culture it was an honour for grandparents to live with as many of their grandchildren as possible. But also, back in town my parents had humble jobs and a large family (6 children altogether - though this was quite a modest family by African standards).  We needed money for food, clothing and to pay school fees.  So for grandparents to offer to live with a child in a rural area, it made economic sense to both them and my parents.

 

Nevertheless, God had His own plan that one day I would glorify Him and be able to tell my story. “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29: 11 [NLT]

 

Today I want us all to thank God that we live in peace and to remember to pray for those living in civil war.  We can have the whole world.  But if there is no peace, we are poor folks.

 

Farai Mutsambiwa

No comments:

Post a Comment