m2oDevotionals

Friday 10 October 2014

[Friday's Devotional] - God's will

To conclude everything we have been learning about money and poverty this week I thought I should look at the little prayer by Jabez in 1 Chronicles 4: 9-10:

“Jabez was a better man than his brothers, a man of honor. His mother had named him Jabez (Oh, the pain!), saying, “A painful birth! I bore him in great pain!” Jabez prayed to the God of Israel: “Bless me, O bless me! Give me land, large tracts of land. And provide your personal protection—don’t let evil hurt me.” God gave him what he asked.” [The Message]

 

The King James Bible translation says: “And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.”

 

Call him what you may - whether he was nobler than his brothers or a person that reminded his mother and brothers of the pain he caused at birth and in life, Jabez prayed to God so he could be delivered from poverty and the pain it causes and God was happy to answer his prayer!  Friends, let me remind you of something you already know - there is no poverty, sickness disease and death in heaven and Jabez seemed to have this revelation well before Jesus came and proclaimed it.

 

God is against poverty and it is what you do with your riches and wealth that matters to Him. No wonder He was quick to grant Jabez his request.  Jabez was smart enough to ask God for His hand of favour to be upon him so that when his request was granted he would not misuse what God gave him or despise others.  Did you know that Jabez was even given a city called by his name and that the city was used for God’s purposes – for many scribes lived in that city!

 

Today pray to God without shame for wealth and the long life to enjoy it. It is a gift from God. See yesterday’s devotional. It is a theme throughout the bible –

 

“True humility and fear of the Lord lead to riches, honour and long life.”
Proverbs 22: 4 [NLT]

 

Look also at the life of David, a man after God’s own heart:

“He died at a ripe old age, having enjoyed long life, wealth, and honour.”
1 Chronicles 29: 28 [NLT]

 

Now, do us (you and me) a favour. Look back to this week’s devotionals. Have you been motivated to pray and believe God for your needs? Have you been encouraged, consoled and comforted in some way?  If so, do not take this lightly my friend.  It’s God who has been ministering to you, directly!

 

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of sympathy (pity and mercy) and the God (who is the source) of every comfort (consolation and encouragement). He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others…..” (the bold emphasis is mine) 2 Corinthians 1: 3- 4 [NLT]

 

Considering where God has taken me from, walking barefoot 7 miles to school, allow me to encourage you and - “publish His glorious deeds among the nations and tell everyone about the amazing things He does.” 1 Chronicles 16: 24 [NLT]

 

Farai Mutsambiwa

No comments:

Post a Comment