m2oDevotionals

Thursday 11 October 2012

[Thursday's Devotional] - Prayer when everything else seems bleak

Many of the prayers that have come to mean a lot to me have come from the Celtic tradition of spirituality which emphasises seeing God in his creation and understanding God as trinity. I have particularly enjoyed a book of prayers called Music of the Heart: New Psalms in the Celtic Tradtion by David Adam.

Today's prayer is from this book. It's an honest prayer, for anyone in a dark, weary place who is willing to acknowledge that they are finding life hard.

A few weeks ago I came across this prayer again by accident and finding it expressed exactly how I was feeling on that morning, I prayed it with more of a sense of relief than an expectation of change. To my great surprise when I came to pray again the following morning, many of the things that had weighed me down and oppressed me had lifted. The important thing to note here is that the prayer 'worked' not like some kind of incantation or spell, if it worked at all, it worked because it carried me honestly into my Father's presence.

Restore my Vision

Let there be a gleam in my eye again, O Lord,

For my sight is growing dim.

All around me lacks glory,

The world is dull and grey.

Restore my vision, open my eyes,

Keep me from the kingdom of the blind.

Let me not be among the walking dead.

Touch my heart, that it may be warm

To the wonders and beauty of the day.

Be at one with me, O mighty Lord,

Make this the place of my resurrection,

A place of new vision and new hope.

Let not the evil ones prevail, O Lord.

Let no one rejoice because I am down.

Lord I am shattered to the roots,

I have lost all identity and purpose.

Yet somewhere within is a light,

For you are at the centre of my life:

You are in the heart of the world.

Lord, I trust your light and love.

When this heaviness is gone,

Let my heart rejoice again in you,

And sing of your mercy and love.

Sheila Bridge


No comments:

Post a Comment