m2oDevotionals

Wednesday 17 October 2012

[Wednesday's Devotional] - Prayer Like Breathing

"Now I'll be bold
As well as strong
Use my head alongside my heart
So take my flesh
And fix my eyes
That tethered mind free from the lies
" (Mumford and Sons)

These words conjure up for me memories of athletics training when I was a teenager, and the way in which we were told to develop a pattern of breathing and fit our running pace to it. It's incredible just how helpful this is, and how it helps in running.

In a similar way prayer should be as natural to us as breathing, energizing us in the realities of life:

"As one elderly woman confessed to me one Sunday morning "I don't have a practice of prayer. Instead, I wake up every morning and I say to God, 'How do you want to love me today?' And then I listen ...and go'" (quoted by Mark Yaconelli). This lady is describing how she breathes out (talking to God), and breathes in (listening to God).


To reflect

Listen to the song "I will wait" and pray as you do so.

How does God want to love you?

How would you like to receive God's love?

Tim Norman


No comments:

Post a Comment