m2oDevotionals

Monday 29 October 2012

[Monday's Devotional] - Alpha

Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet as you all know and in many cases is thought of as the first or best of almost anything. We have the "alpha male" in many animal groups – the top dog as we think of them, and that can apply to humans in the family or workplace too.

It can also apply to the grading of exam results. A is the top standard grade, although we add a plus or star for exceptional results. When I was taking exams it was just a pass or fail and although there were more passes than fails I'm not sure that any would have rated an A in today's standards.

Then we have the Alpha course, a series of social meetings that introduce people to, and help them to understand, the Bible, Jesus and God. It certainly helped me some years ago. Like many people I had grown up in a 'Christian' house but never really gave it much thought. After a week or two of the course I was thinking "So what? I knew this years ago and it means nothing really to me." How wrong can one man be? Before the course was over I had asked Jesus into my life and have never regretted it. I doubt anyone does.

So, to me, Alpha is God and God is Alpha. The number one, the all powerful creator.

We are smaller than the smallest ant by comparison and yet he loves us, cares for us and calls us his children. And like children we are not always very well behaved, but still he loves us. So we try to do better next time.

Let us aim for that A grade, it's not easy to attain but then the best things never are.

Jim Finch



No comments:

Post a Comment