m2oDevotionals

Tuesday 30 September 2014

[Tuesday's Devotional] - Mont Saint-Michel

I love you, Lord, my strength. 

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,

    my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

 I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,

    and I have been saved from my enemies.      Psalm 18:1-3 [NIV]

 

We joined the throngs of people visiting Mont Saint-Michel, the abbey perched on a rock in the largest tidal bay in Europe. The craftsmanship and engineering knowledge needed to haul the stones up and position them to build the abbey almost defy belief.

 

Except for a time during the French Revolution when it was put to use as a prison, this tiny fortified town has been home to religious communities for centuries. We wandered through the monks’ refectory, cloisters, scriptorium and various chapels and sat quietly in the nave of the Cathedral as Mass was celebrated in French listening to the plainsong chants of the sisters echoing around the vaulted ceilings.

 

Thank you God for the heritage left us by generations of Christians who have gone before us. Amen.

 

Mairi Mowbray

No comments:

Post a Comment