m2oDevotionals

Friday 9 March 2018

[Friday's Devotional] - Tent In The Centre of Town

Tent In The Centre of Town

 
"The greatest legacy one can pass on to one's children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one's life, but rather a legacy of character and faith."
Rev. Billy Graham
 
Last Friday (2nd March) his funeral took place and his earthly body was laid to rest. As I write this in advance (a week before) the only information is that it will be private and by invitation only, 2,300 invitations went out which included the current president and many former presidents. The service will take place under a tent similar to the one where he first heard the 'good news' and subsequently held his own first major revival rally nearly 70 years ago.
 
Billy said:
'I haven't written my own epitaph, and I'm not sure I should. Whatever it is, I hope it will be simple, and that it will point people not to me, but to the One I served'.
 
His life matched his message, he was by no means perfect, yet he led a life beyond reproach. He had his share of regrets and mis-steps, stating

"The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, 'O God, forgive me,' or 'Help me'.  
 
Paul wrote "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit"
2 Corinthians 3:18 [NIV]
 
Being transformed into the image of Christ is a process, it takes time, however we shouldn't grow discouraged, it is a life-long transformation and one day we shall fully be like Him, as John wrote, "We know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is"
1 John 3:2 [NIV]
 
I can only imagine what may be taking place now between the Lord, Billy and all those (as Billy put it) at his 'new address', a journey which began in a tent.
 
Tent In The Centre of Town – Sara Groves [YouTube 4 mins]
  
Dawn Milward
 
Twitter
Website
Copyright © 2018 St. Matthew & St. Oswald's Church, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email as a subscriber to the Daily Devotionals

Our mailing address is:
St. Matthew & St. Oswald's Church
1a New Street
Rugby, Warwickshire CV22 7BE
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Want to be added to our mailing list? - sign up here!

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

No comments:

Post a Comment