m2oDevotionals

Wednesday 25 April 2012

[Wednesday's Devotional] - Listening

Yesterday we thought about talking to God, and it's just as important that we listen to Him too. I expect all of us ask for things we think we need from time to time, but do we take a bit more time to listen for an answer? Probably not, we just carry on with our lives and wait to see if anything happens. And do we feel let down if we don't appear to get what we have asked for? Quite possibly. But did we really need that promotion at work, the new car, a miraculous recovery for an elderly relative, or help with an awkward situation?

The work promotion that means longer hours because of more responsibility, the new car that is newer but not really any better than our present one, the elderly relative who will now need extra care for a few more years which will put us under a bit more pressure, or that situation which only required a little time and patience to clear.

It is unlikely that God will speak to many of us in the way that He did to Moses or Samuel. But we often get an answer in one way or another. Try a little hindsight.

Thirty years ago I had my own business. I had started as a one man business a few years earlier and now had two staff, but needed to work long hours to meet the needs of my customers. Then Rolls Royce, who supplied over 90% of my work, decided that they would now work without using sub-contractors like me. I was stunned, the business could not continue, the big house and nice car would have to go. I had built the company up, increasing the turnover by 200% and all to no avail. The company had to close within a few short months and I was redundant. It's just not fair!

Looking back, I recollect working 36 hours or more with just a catnap in the office now and then. I fact, one week I got up Monday morning and never got back to bed until Friday night, and I thought I'd done serious damage to my back. Now I think God knew what he was doing all the time, I just wasn't listening.

The Prayer Ministry team in our church clear their minds and simply wait on God for 20 minutes or more before each Service. They are listening for any words or pictures that God might place before them. Not every team member receives something every time, but they are listening anyway. 2,000 years ago there were only a handful of Christians in the world, today there are billions – so we need to be patient as God handles all our problems.

Let us remember to listen and look out for God's answers to our prayers and for His guidance on matters we hadn't thought to ask about.

Jim Finch


No comments:

Post a Comment